BREEAM (BRE Environmental Assessment Method) is the leading and most widely used environmental assessment method for buildings and communities. It sets the standard for best practice in sustainable design and has become the de facto measure used to describe a building’s environmental performance.
UKTA (United Kingdom Thermography Authority) is a special interest group affiliated to BINDT (British Institute of Non Destructive Testing) and promotes the professional application of thermography to all branches and applications of the technology.
At this time, UKTA is devising a Competent Persons Scheme (CPS) whereby professionally qualified thermographers can be called upon to carry out surveys in the built environment such that, in association with a BREEAM assessor, credits can be awarded to projects as part of their overall BREEAM Assessment.
Having already engaged with BRE, UKTA has formed a sub-group to look specifically at the creation of a Competent Persons Scheme which BRE, UKTA and its appropriately qualified members can be engaged on projects where the developer, design team and contractor, through a BREEAM ASSESSOR, can gain credits by the adoption of a UKTA – BREEAM Thermographic Survey.
To this end, the Scheme Operating Requirements (SOR) and the Survey and Reporting Requirements (SRR) documents are now into penultimate draft stages. Bruce Arnold, a UKTA Committee Member and immediate past-Chairman of the IMechE Construction and Building Services Division (CBSD) is leading on these documents and overseeing progress.
The BREEAM CPS scheme is being set up as a pilot with ultimate aim of presenting the Department of Communities and Local Government (DCLG) with a tried and tested, fit for purpose check (together with air pressure testing) for Building Regulations compliance in accordance with approved documents ADL1A/ADL2A.
The following timescale is what we are working towards:
- Joint BINDT/UKTA letter of authorisation to set up UKTA Competent Persons Scheme (CPS) to be operated by ILCA in accordance with UKTA Scheme Operating Requirement (SOR) and Survey & Reporting Requirements (SRR) documents.
- Produce the final drafts of the SRR and SOR – end May 2017
- Draw up a Project Plan for BREEAM thermography as a pilot scheme.
- Issue to UKTA committee members with agenda for next UKTA meeting scheduled while the CM World Congress is in session -13th June 2017. Committee members to either endorse Bruce’s document or bring specifics to the meeting in June.
- Final draft by early July 2017
- Copy then to BINDT for input comments end of July 2017
- Subject to BINDT approval, advise BRE early September 2017
- Publish scheme requirements on UKTA website
- Establish administration and governance in parallel with the above – May through end 2017.
- Launch the Scheme – November 2017.